Culvers Night!

Culvers Night!

Friday, March 8, 2013

Day 7 - Friday

Well we are winding down to our last days, hours, minutes, seconds and moments in Haiti and let me just tell you how truly amazing our time here has been.  I cannot stress enough how blessed I am to have gotten the opportunity to know each and every person on this trip.  First of all my team.  Team March 2013 is awesome.  I have gotten the chance to return to Haiti for the second time now.  I went to Haiti last year with my family and three Minnesota boys,  one of whom returned with me this year, and it opened my eyes to a whole new world.  This year I was engaged with a brand new group.  I have had the chance to get to know them and share in Haiti’s wonderful life changing experience.  Second of all our Haitian guys.  Joe, Jacob and Fresnel have become our best friends and it will be hard to say goodbye.

Today filled our hearts with many emotions.  We spent our last day in Verettes filled with activities.  We headed off to our job site we had been at all week to finish up our project of building the benches.  We got almost all of them done and our super amazing carpenters will finish the rest after we leave.  I think the kids were the hardest part of leaving the site.  So many friendships were created and relationships were tied.  One particular friendship that stood out to me was between a boy named Zita and Jessy.  Her love and passion for this one boy was outstanding and it touched my heart to see how much she cared about him.  I know we are all going to miss those kids and they are going to miss us as well.  They made our week.   Then we rode over to Tom and Fecilta’s for lunch.  Fecilta made us the BEST PIZZA EVER!  They were so proud to have us as company and even little Ryan (their son) opened up and played with Nathan.  We were all overwhelmed with joy to see Echo who sang for us and put huge smiles on all of our faces. 

After we visited for a while at Tom’s we packed up and made our way to a spot to buy some sugar cane!  We packed the truck with sugar cane and drove to the river to eat the sugar cane and dip our feet in the water.  The bonding time today with each other was probably the best part.  Joe and Fresnel then decided to take us to a Haitian bar! We sat with one another had a soda and enjoyed each other’s company.  While we were at the bar sipping on our drinks, smiling and talking it hit me.  I am really going to miss this great group of people and this was by far the best way to spend my spring break.

We then had the privilege to go and visit the Albert Schweitzer Hospital.  We all had different expectations and were amazed to see how everything worked and how the place was run.  I don’t like hospitals so I won’t elaborate a whole lot on this one.  All I can say is it was worth seeing and touched a few people in our group to go more into the medical field.  After the hospital Alaina was intrigued by the small vendors on the sides of the street and really wanted to try some Haitian candy!  We stopped, grabbed a bag and then proceeded to go on our way back to Borel.  Our day finished on a relaxing note and we spent some time with our friends on the compound playing just dance and socializing about how much Haiti has touch our lives. 

I honestly and truthfully can’t explain how happy and blessed I am.  This trip wouldn’t have been possible without my mother.  She has touched my life in ways that are hard to explain and I owe her so much.  She makes this all possible and without her none of us would have been able to go.  I don’t think we understand how much she puts into these trips and it is so worth it.  My mom has such a big heart for Haiti and the Haitian people and I admire her and her missionary work.  She truly is amazing.

It’s going to be extremely hard to leave our friends of Haiti and tears will fill my eyes when tomorrow comes upon us.  It’s been so much fun working side by side with our brothers and sisters and doing God’s work at the same time.  God has shown his light to us through Haiti in everything we saw, did, and experienced.  I can’t wait to come back but till then it is never goodbye it is see you later…


ONE BLESSED CHILD OF GOD -Bekah

No comments: