Culvers Night!

Culvers Night!

Monday, March 3, 2014

Day 2 in Haiti - Team March 2014


March 2, 2014

Today our group experienced our first full day in Haiti.  We began the week like we would have back in America, with Sunday Mass.  We traveled by truck to the town of Verrettes with the whole group plus two Haitian friends.  Roaming along the streets of Haiti in the back of a pick-up is an unforgettable adventure!  So many faces turn to watch as the “Blan” whiz by.  Children wave and chase after our vehicle while adults stare intently.  We are merely an arm’s length away from other traffic and pedestrians along the road.  The Haitians seems to enjoy “people” watching on the road as we would in a mall back home – searching for familiar faces, shouting to friends, and looking on curiously when seeing something out of the ordinary. 

When we arrived at the church I immediately felt a sense of familiarity as Catholicism knows no land barriers.  The Mass was spoken all in Creole with speckles of Latin.  I only recognized the word “Hosanna,” and yet I felt my heart understanding more through our universal Catholic rituals and gestures.  I could feel the raw emotion in the Priest’s voice and sense the honest adoration in the harmonic singing of the choir.  The first several rows of the church were occupied by school children.  They looked dashing in their matching uniforms of white and brown.  The girls all sported white bows and vibrant smiles while the boys rocked ties and wide innocent eyes.  When they departed as the Mass ended each held the hand of another in honest camaraderie. 

Later in the day we assisted with a food program benefitting some of the most in need children from the community.  The kids in the program receive food and assistance with school supplies until they graduate.  During this time I was able to interact with a few boys who spoke English!  At times it was difficult to interpret their accents on specific words, but I realized I was listening more with my heart than my ears.  Words can carry meaning, but the body can convey true emotion that exceeds cultural barriers.  At times we were laughing and at other instances I could sense feelings of passion, awkwardness, hopelessness, and joy.  One boy, John Le, confided in me his desire to become an English teacher.  This of course cut straight to my heart as a fellow educator.  He spoke of his longing to help those in his community and inspire younger children.  I identified with this passion, but was saddened when I saw the distant look in his eyes yearning for an easier way to accomplish his heart’s desire.  John Le knew there would be no easy path to this calling, but still he held tight to this dream.  He hoped to see me again as I did him when we said our goodbyes.  I became overwhelmed with emotion upon his departure as he hugged me.  So many times in life I have met children and wondered what their future holds and how I can help them to recognize their God given talents.  John Le seemed to already know his.  I hope one day I will be blessed to see him again spreading his joy and passion with the world by teaching others as he taught me on this blessed second day of March.  ~ Jacque

 

No comments: