Culvers Night!

Culvers Night!

Friday, January 21, 2011

An Inspirational Contributor!

Well, it’s Friday again and time for me to post. I’m so glad that I made this resolution of “Friday posting.” I have found myself excitedly awaiting my date with the Hands for Haiti blog!!!

People have been asking when are we going to Haiti again and I have also been asking myself this question. It seems like the time has just been going by so quickly. Personally, I have had an ache in my heart to go back there. I can’t help it. I just love to be there!! If I had it my way, I would be in Haiti one week out of every month. But that’s not really possible right now, so I’ll have to settle for a few times a year.

Tonight I sat next to a wonderful woman at my son’s hockey game. She is an inspiration to me and I’m sure to many others also. She has three children. One is finished with college and is working, another is a marine deployed in Afghanistan and the other is handicapped. After her husband passed, she had the challenge of raising her children on her own. As we watched the game, we chatted about all the life lessons we try to teach our children growing up and the value of good, honest hard work. We also talked about how to instill in them the act of not only receiving, but giving of ourselves to others and how important it is for them to be thankful for what they have in life. I think the best way to do this, is live by what we preach.

This wonderful, giving friend, not only takes care of her handicapped son, but also organizes sending shoes and toiletry items to Afghanistan on a regular basis. She doesn’t have much, but what she does have, she shares with others. She religiously sends a check every month to support our mission. Her gift inspires me to persevere through challenges in my own life that prevent me from making this next trip to Haiti. I know that if I trust and persevere like she does, our plans will come to fruition and we will soon be on our way back to our friends in Haiti.

Thank you, Pam, for your belief and faith in us. Your life, simple as you may think that it is, has been a huge inspiration for me and for our small organization. You are a blessing to the Hands for Haiti family and your blessing extends across the ocean to a little village in the mountains on the island of Haiti.

No comments: