Culvers Night!

Culvers Night!

Monday, March 1, 2010

First day in Haiti!!

We arrived in Port au Prince at about 9:30 am. It was a little crazy leaving the airport, but we finally located Fr. Alexis. We were able to view some of the devastation from the earthquake as we navigated our way through Port on our way to Liancourt. You can see many of the tent communities where people have set up sheets to live under. You also see rubble everywhere. They are beginning to clean up the debris, but it is still in piles. I took many pictures in Port, but I am having difficulty downloading them. My camera chip isn't fitting in Jake's laptop, so I may have to see if someone else has a computer I can download into. I will work on this as I really wanted to share the pictures with you.

It is good to see Fr. Alexis and his village again. We took a drive around to show Jake the surroundings. As always, it is amazing to see how people live in a 3rd world country. It makes me very thankful for all that we are blessed with. But the Haitian people are still happy. They have strong faith!!

Tomorrow we are leaving in the morning to attend a UN meeting in Saint Marc regarding relief services. Tom Braak from FIAI cannot attend this meeting and asked if I would go. Jean Rony will be there to translate if needed. After that we will stop at the YWAM office in Saint Marc to purchase school supplies for the refugee school children. We will be distributing these later in the afternoon.

Wednesday we are off to build shelters in Port au Prince and Thursday we will be hiking to the mountains to install a water filtration system.

Please continue to keep us in your prayers. We love you all!!
Debbi and Jake

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love you too :) Please be careful in your travels. XOXOXO, Aunt Dawn

Anonymous said...

we love and miss you guys. You are the hands and feet of Christ! take care and hug Fr Alexis for us!!

Love, Jeff and kids

Anonymous said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I pray for blessings for both of you as you reach out to others with God's love. Terri Raffaele